Thursday, February 25, 2010

I can't think of one

Today, I got peed on by a four year old and was in a car that hit a 107 year old man... today was a great day.
Hitting the guy was really scary at first, but ended up somewhat funny. Pedestrians do not have the right of way in this country and there are no stop signs or stop lights, so it's actually surprising this doesn't happen more. Anyway, we were driving along and this old man with a cane started crossing the road. Our driver slammed on the brakes and was almost stopped then hit the guy, when he went down I thought he was dead (I didn't see it well because I was in the backseat), people around started telling us to back up so we did. I was so scared he was stuck under us or something. The next thing I know the guy is up walking in front of the car, then he got in with us! There was lots of yelling in Creole that I didn't understand and this guy just got up from the dead so I was trying not to laugh, plus he looked like a black Yoda. We drove around to a couple health clinics until someone could see him, they said he was fine, but gave him pain medicine just in case, which our driver paid for. While they were checking him out he said he was 107! I think maybe he didn't know and 107 was his best guess. We dropped him off at his house and he got out and walked away just fine. We drove around stunned that we had just hit a guy.

The rest of the day we moved a Sunspring water filter to the site we will be installing it tomorrow at Port-au-Prince Hospital. Afterward, we checked out a future sight for one of the units. The second will be installed at a sports camp where kids go to play sports and get counseling. Most of the kids who go there are living in refugee camps.

Yesterday (Wednesday), I spent most of the day working at Child Hope, the orphanage near our house. I built a small lean-to for some teachers who lost their homes in the earthquake then led activities with some of the kids. It was great to be able to help over there, they have a very well-run facility.

Well, that's all for now.

5 comments:

Shawn said...

Sounds like he had it coming

I'm Ashley. said...

107-year-ol black Yoda!!! I love it :) Also I got peed on by Trey's puppy so I kind of know what you're going through... We miss you but it's so awesome hearing about all of the opportunities that are coming up!

KUJayhawk said...

Hi Tyler, really appreciate the blog. It is so interesting to be able to keep up with what you are doing. Sounds like you are doing some neat things (except maybe the running over old people part!) LOL Keep up the good work and stay safe. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Wow, getting peed on and running into an old man (not pointing the finger at you of course)...I thought I was having a bad day. Glad you can keep things in perspective for me. XoXo

oldiegoodie said...

Hi Tyler; I was just wondering how you were progressing along. I cant imagine hitting someone in a car and you had no say or control overit. a helpless witness but youre soooo funny the way you decribed it lolol keep up the good work God bless you .It will be interesting how they celebrate Easter.