Saturday, March 6, 2010

From Oswald Chamber's "My Utmost For His Highest":
Acts 20:24 "But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself."
"It is easier to serve God without a vision, easier to work for God without a call, because then you are not bothered by what God requires; common sense is your guide, veneered over with Christian sentiment. You will be more prosperous and successful, more leisure-hearted, if you never realize the call of God. But if once you receive a commission from Jesus Christ, the memory of what God wants will always come like a goad; you will no longer be able to work for Him on the common-sense basis."

I read this a couple days ago and it has occupied my mind ever since. I am the "leasure-hearted", I seek first to be "more prosperous and successful", and "common sense is (my) guide". I dance around the call for my life so that I may use the excuse of uncertainity. My life is about me far more than anyone else. I have never been more aware of this fact than here, amongst the mass destruction and suffering. I see people starving and homeless, yet I worry about my own mere discomfort. I view the need here as somehow secondary to my own. I say that I want to change my heart, but do I really? These are simply words. Please pray that I will one day give up and surrender so that I too may experience what it is to "neither count I my life dear unto myself."



http://iwtsunspring.blogspot.com/
Here's a link to a blog that I've been asked to work on for the Sunspring. It's a more in-depth look into what we have been working on over the past week.

No comments: