Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Shit water

I got out of the car, took a step without looking, and walked into the gutter. The water should have been less thick, less smelly. "Is that shit?" I asked. In a thick Haitian accent, "Yes, that is (eez) shit (sheet) water (wata). But it's ok", said a Haitian man nearby. This is the reality of Haiti right now, shit flows in the streets, but it's ok. I am continually struck by people adapting to their circumstances and making the most of them.

Over that last week or so we have been checking in on the Sunsprings that we have installed and doing routine maintenance. We are training Haitians to do maintenance for when we leave. It is really fun to see all the people that are benefitting from these things, I'm so glad I am able to play a part. We are waiting for four more to arrive and Luke and I will install those. We have also been able to spend time down the street at the orphanage, playing basketball with the kids, substitute teaching, and leading a rec time. I love the balance of the two places I'm spending my time. There's the practical, but impersonal side with the water, and then a chance to just play with kids.

I bought my plane ticket and I'll be back in Denver April 13. I actually wasn't as excited as I thought I would be when booked it, I could stay longer. There's a chance I'll be coming back, though, but we'll see. For now our work here is winding down and I'm excited to go home.

Oh and by the way, to add insult to injury, I dropped a water bottle in the shit water and splashed on my legs. This is Haiti.

4 comments:

I'm Ashley. said...

I'm excited for you to be home! Will you keep blogging when you get back? I think everyone will enjoy reading about the transition back to American life.

Anonymous said...

I'm excited that you will be back before I leave for my new job. Then we can have a couple more Happy Hours together. Still praying for you and the wonderful work that you are doing.

Anonymous said...

BAHAHAHAHAHA! So sorry to hear of your sheety experience in zee wata mahn! Ok, no Im not I laughed my ass off! I luv you.....keep pluggin away kiddo.....:)

katestratton said...

I just caught up on your blog. The title of this entry made me laugh. A lot. We're still prayin' for ya! Happy Easter! :)